These workshops are free and open to all UvA students and staff from all faculties. These workshops are done in collaboration with ECHO Diversity Expertise Centre, Our Bodies Our Voice and the Good Lad Initiative.
Before requesting a workshop from the CDO team*:
- Do we really need a workshop, or can we we read/watched/listened to sources listed below on the CDO Team blog?
- What is our goal and intrinsic motivation to follow a workshop?
- Have we done our own homework and research, or are we asking trainers to do the mental labor for us?**
- Have we discussed what diversity means for our team/group/organization?
- Have we written a mission statement, vision document and/or diversity action plan?
*This includes departments, teams, student associations, groups, etc.
**The majority of our workshops are led by Black and POC trainers who have lived experiences dealing with racism, sexism, discrimination, ableism, heteronormativity and other forms of systemic oppression.
As many have said before us, read, watch and or listen to these videos, podcasts, and articles to increase your understanding. Start with, for example:
- Wit Huiswerk in Dutch
- BLM Educate Yourself in English
- Woorden doen er toe or Words Matter (which terminology to use)
- Witte onschuld by Gloria Wekker (in English: White Innocence)
- Alledaags racisme by Philomena Essed
- Hallo witte mensen by Anousha Nzume
- UvA Diversity Commission’s Let’s Do Diversity Report by Gloria Wekker et. al.
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
- America to Me
- When They See Us plus Oprah Winfrey Presents When They See Us Now
- Wit is ook een kleur
- I am not your Negro
- Recognizing Privilege: Power to All People
- Gloria Wekker gaat in gesprek met Lex Bohlmeijer
- Racisme met (met Sinan Çankaya)
- #1 – Racisme, hoe gaan we het tegen? Met Clarice Gargard.
- Code Switch NPR Podcast
- Miss Buchanan’s Period Of Adjustment
Get out and about:
- Visit The Black Archives in Amsterdam
- Take a Black Heritage Tour in Amsterdam
- Participate in a Keti Koti Dialogue Table – Details to follow for UvA Students & Staff
Organizations and voices in the Netherlands to follow on social media and donate to: