Despite having come to the Netherlands to find refuge, LGBTQI+ asylum seekers are often confronted with high levels of violence and discrimination during the asylum procedure. Drawing on accounts from LGBTQI+ asylum seekers, activists, and academics, this webinar aims to shine a light on anti-LGBTQI+ violence during the asylum procedure, asking what the causes and consequences of this violence are, and how we can analyse, discuss, and address this violence in a time of heightened political polarisation, xenophobia, and homonationalism.
June 18th, from 14.00 – 16.00h
Please register online via this link.
The programme includes the following speakers:
- Saphinah, former LGBTQI+ asylum seeker from Uganda.
- Adam, former LGBTQI+ asylum seeker from Syria
- Carla, a Dutch LGBTQI+ activist
- Sandro Kortekaas, president LGBT Asylum Support
- Laurens Buijs, sociologist UvA, entrepreneur and activist